Page 2 of 2
Greener Schools Start With You
This year, Pureology is pleased to present Global Green USA's Green School Makeover Competition. From March 1 – September 30, 2011, a parent, teacher, student or individual, can nominate any K–12 public, private or charter school they think deserves a Green School Makeover. One school will win a "green makeover" and four finalist schools will win $2,500 for their sustainable upgrades.
"Global Green USA has lowered energy bills for cash strapped school districts, improved indoor air quality in classrooms, and increased student test scores by greening over $15 billion in school facilities over last 10 years," said Matt Petersen, President and CEO of Global Green USA. "We are excited to have Pureology provide charitable support to help us launch this national competition, so Global Green can continue to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, decrease energy costs, and create green jobs in our communities."
"Pureology is proud to have supported Global Green's extraordinary programs over the past two years and to increase our support in 2011 by presenting Global Green USA's Green School Makeover Competition to help improve the lives of students while educating parents, teachers, students and the public about the importance of creating healthy green classrooms," states Shae Kalyani, Vice President of Marketing for Pureology. "Throughout 2011, Pureology will offer client product promotions in salons and donate a total of $250,000 to Global Green USA's Green School Makeover Competition Presented by Pureology."
What is a Green School?
Green schools are designed, built, renovated or operated in an ecological and resource-efficient manner. Green schools have numerous benefits for children, staff and our environment:
- Improve Student Performance by as much as 25 percent
- Protect student and teacher health
- Connect students to the natural world
- Increase average daily attendance
- Reduce operating costs by 20-40 percent
- Reduce water consumption by up to 32 percent
- Reduce overall impact to the environment
What happens when a school goes green?
These are only some of the beneficial steps a "green school" makeover might include:
- Create a recycling program
- Plant an organic, edible garden
- Conduct an "energy audit" to determine ways energy can be saved
- Reduce electricity use and improve natural day lighting of classrooms by installing solar shades
- Educating students, teachers and parents on environmentally responsible behavior
- Switch to green cleaning products
- Install energy-efficient CFL (compact fluorescent lamp) light bulbs
- Use of sustainable materials, such as bamboo flooring or recycled rubber gym mats
- Install non-toxic, low VOC paints and carpets
It's time to take action and nominate a school for Global Green USA's Green School Makeover Competition Presented by Pureology! Beginning March 1, 2011, visit GreenSchools.Pureology.com to learn more and nominate a school. Work with your school principal or school facilities administrator to complete the application. Make sure to think about the types of green upgrades your school needs and why; allow 6 weeks from the start of the application to completion and submit your application between March 1 – September 30, 2011. Global Green USA will review all applications and announce the winner in Q4 2011.