WEF Announces 2013 Award Winners
The winners will be honored during WEFTEC® 2013, the organization's 86th Annual Technical Exhibition and Conference taking place Oct. 5-9 in Chicago.
The Water Environment Federation has announced the winners of its 2013 WEF Awards, which will be presented during WEFTEC® 2013, the organization's 86th Annual Technical Exhibition and Conference taking place in October in Chicago.
The winners are:
- Camp Applied Research Award: Krishna Pagilla, Chicago; Central States/Illinois WEA
- Collection Systems Award: Robert Villee, Middlesex, N.J.; New Jersey WEA
- Eddy Wastewater Principles/Processes Medal: Jes Vollertsen, Thorkild Hvitved Jacobsen, and Asbjørn Haaning Nielsen, authors of the article "Effect of Sewer Headspace Air-Flow on Hydrogen Sulfide Removal by Corroding Concrete Surfaces," Water Environment Research, March 2012
- Emerson Distinguished Service Award: Rao Y. Surampalli, Lenexa, Kan.; Nebraska WEA
- Fair Distinguished Engineering Educator Medal: Krishna Pagilla, Chicago; Central States/Illinois WEA
- Gascoigne Wastewater Treatment Plant Operational Improvement Medal: Gary R. Johnson, James Thurrott, and Manjiang Chen, authors of the article "Optimizing Low-Level Nitrogen Removal," Water Environment & Technology, June 2012
- Industrial Water Quality Lifetime Achievement Award: Sam E. Shelby, Jr., Brentwood, Tenn.; Kentucky-Tennessee WEA
- Innovative Technology Award: X-500 Pasteurization Technology Group, San Leandro, Calif.; ES-620 Electro Scan, Inc., Sacramento, Calif.;
TrojanUVSigna™ Trojan Technologies, London, Ontario, Canada; Centrisys Centrifuge Thickener – THK Series, Centrisys Corporation, Kenosha, Wis.
- McKee Groundwater Protection, Restoration or Sustainable Use Award: Foued El Ayni, Semia Cherif, Amel Jrad, and Malika Trabelsi-Ayadi, authors of the article "A New Approach for the Assessment of Groundwater Quality and Its Suitability for Irrigation: A Case Study of the Korba Coastal Aquifer (Tunisia, Africa)," Water Environment Research, August 2012
- Outstanding Member Association Award: Water Environment Association of Texas (WEAT)
- Outstanding Young Water Environment Professional Award: Joan Fernandez, Beltsville, Md.; Chesapeake WEA
- Public Education Awards: Thomas Meholic, Oakhurst, N.J., New Jersey WEA, Individual Category; Water Environment Association of Ontario; WEF Member Association Category; Clay Township Regional Waste District, Indianapolis, Other Category
- Public Officials Award: Debra Shore, commissioner of the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago; Alexander J. Russin, Resident Country director, Jordan, Millennium Challenge Corporation; Howard M. Neukrug, Water commissioner, City of Philadelphia
- Rudolfs Industrial Waste Management Medal: Yong H. Huang, Phani K. Peddi, Cilai Tang, Hui Zeng, and Jason (Xinjun) Teng, authors of the article "Pilot Demonstration of the Activated Iron Process for Removing Heavy Metals from Flue-Gas-Desulfurization (FGD) Wastewater," Proceedings of WEFTEC 2012
- WEF Canham Graduate Studies Scholarship: Ryan C. Locicero, University of South Florida, Tampa; Florida WEA
- WEF Safety Award: CH2M HILL/Fort Campbell Project, Fort Campbell, Ky.
WEFTEC 2013 will be held Oct. 5-9 at McCormick Place. Visit www.weftec.org for the latest conference details and more information about the WEF Awards.