10 Million Wireless Device Trade-Ins and Counting
eRecyclingCorps reached the milestone last month, less than five years after the organization was founded.
Irving, Texas-based eRecyclingCorps announced last week that it has completed 10 million wireless device trade-ins since its inception in 2009 and nearly tripled its collection volumes over the past year. The company processed more than 7 million wireless device trade-ins in 2012 alone.
Together with its partners, including operators and retailers throughout Europe and North America, eRC processed device trade-ins during 2012 at a rate of almost 20,000 per day, representing 2,255 tons of e-waste diverted from landfills. According to the company, each mobile device trade-in represents:
- A new revenue stream for operators to offset device subsidies
- Instant in-store credit that enables immediate customer discounts on new devices or accessories
- Increased customer satisfaction and reduced churn
- A dependable supply of high-quality, affordable technology that can be resold across the world
- An opportunity to recapture precious and rare materials by extending the lifespan of wireless devices rather than creating new phones
- E-waste diverted from landfill and water resources
"This major milestone demonstrates that operators are quickly learning about the tremendous power of eRecyclingCorps' in-store trade-in program to offset surging device subsidy costs, improve customer satisfaction, and meet sustainability goals," said CEO David Edmondson, who said the company's rapid growth "is a direct result of our commitment to working hand-in-hand with operators to develop tailored retail support programs that enhance the bottom line. By profitably driving a high volume of mobile device trade-ins, our operator-grade retail model is fundamentally changing how operators and consumers alike view the value of used devices."
The 10 million devices collected via eRC's in-store operator and retail programs are repaired to "like new" quality to meet strict standards for functionality. eRC currently operates in 10 countries and partners with five of the seven leading carriers in North America, as well as several European operators and more than 10,000 retailer locations worldwide.