Portage Inc. Wins DOE Technical Assistance Contract
The Department of Energy (DOE) on July 1 awarded a task order to Portage, Inc., a small disadvantaged business from Idaho Falls, Idaho, to provide technical assistance to the Carlsbad Field Office and the Waste Isolation Pilot Project (WIPP) in Carlsbad, N.M.
This is a time-and-material task order issued under a General Services Administration (GSA) Federal Supply Schedule. The contract has an approximate value of $30 million.
The contractor will provide a range of services that include:
- Quality assurance and safety oversight support
- Environmental and regulatory services support
- National TRU (transuranic) Program technical support
- Performance demonstration program management
- Science and international program support
- American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Support
- Operations oversight support
- Perform assessments nationwide involving TRU waste.
The WIPP site is a deep geologic repository mined in salt and is the final disposal destination for 6.2 million cubic feet of stored and newly generated TRU waste from generator sites around the country. WIPP’s mission is to safely characterize, transport, and dispose of radioactive waste resulting from defense activities.