May is American Wetlands Month
In anticipation of American Wetlands Month in May, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency encourages individuals and groups to plan activities and events that raise awareness of the critical role wetlands play in the environment and build support for their protection and restoration.
Some ideas for celebratory activities and events include:
- Participate in a wetland walk, canoe trip, bird watch, or other outdoor activity
- Plan a wetland or stream clean-up
- Recognize a wetland hero
- Sponsor a talk or presentation about wetlands
- Start or participate in a volunteer wetland monitoring or restoration group
- Organize a wetland festival
The agency encourages Individuals or groups planning local, regional, or national events to share event information through http://www.epa.gov/owow/wetlands/awm/contact.html. For general information, visit: http://www.epa.gov/owow/wetlands/awm.