Connecticut District Selects GEI to Help Address Peak Flows
The Metropolitan District of Connecticut (MDC) has chosen GEI Consultants, Inc., a water resources, geotechnical and environmental engineering firm, to provide geotechnical and environmental engineering services as part the the district's Clean Water Project, according to a Jan. 9 press release. The MDC manages the water and sewer systems in the Hartford, Conn., region.
Water quality of the Connecticut River is affected by sewer and stormwater overflow each time it rains more than one-quarter of an inch, an average of 50 times each year. When this happens, the overflow floods area basements and streets, creating a public health and safety issue. The Clean Water Project is working to mitigate these risks by separating combined sewers and increasing storage capacity and treatment.
GEI was selected to assist in geotechnical services associated with the design and construction of new sanitary sewers and interceptors, storm drains, and tunnels on a program-wide basis for three years.
"Storm events in the Hartford area carry the potential for releasing wastewater into communities and area waterways unable to deal with these water quality hazards. The Clean Water Project aims to limit overflows into the environment by implementing targeted projects that will address water quality impacts," said Jay Curran, vice president at GEI Consultants.
The targeted projects range from new sewer and drainage system construction to increased wastewater treatment capacity and new tunnel storage. For more information, visit http://thecleanwaterproject.com/.
MDC is a nonprofit municipal corporation chartered by the Connecticut General Assembly in 1929. It provides water, sewer, and household hazardous waste collection services to its member municipalities: Bloomfield, East Hartford, Hartford, Newington, Rocky Hill, West Hartford, Wethersfield and Windsor. In addition, under a series of special agreements, the district supplies treated water to Glastonbury, the southern portion of South Windsor, the eastern portion of Farmington, East Granby, and Unionville.