EPA Names 13 Energy Star Winners
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recently named the 13 winners of the 2008 Energy Star Small Business and Congregation Awards. This year's winners are recognized for doing their part to save energy and fight climate change through effective energy management practices and innovative efficiency solutions.
The winners are:
• Complexions Spa for Beauty & Wellness (Albany, N.Y.)
• Evelyn Hill Inc. (Liberty Island, N.Y.)
• FXFOWLE (New York, N.Y.)
• Hand Motors (Manchester Center, Vt.)
• Johnson Braund Design Group (Seattle, Wash.)
• Lambert Auto Sales (Claremont, N.H.)
• Long Island Village Realty (Syosset, N.Y.)
• National Benefit Service Center Inc. dba City Java (Orlando, Fla.)
• Pine Forest Camp (Greely, Pa.)
• Priority Communications (DuBois, Pa.)
• Congregation Or Shalom (Orange, Conn.)
• Dennis Union Church (Dennis, Mass.)
• Sparks United Methodist Church (Sparks, Nev.)
Together, these organizations reduced annual carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by more than 860 tons, equivalent to the CO2 emissions from the average electricity use of more than 100 homes for one year. The winners also demonstrated that improving energy efficiency is an effective low-cost solution, even in the face of significantly expanded business operations. Financial savings for this year's winners totaled more than $160,000 in annual energy costs.
The energy-saving efforts of the winners include lighting upgrades; improved insulation and sealing; installation of Energy Star-qualified appliances and equipment; installation of solar arrays; and new energy efficient construction. Strategic operations and maintenance efforts, as well as education and outreach, were fundamental to the success of this year's winners.
Energy Star was introduced by EPA in 1992 as a voluntary, market-based partnership to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through energy efficiency.