America Celebrates Wetlands in May
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency will celebrate American Wetlands Month in May with federal, state, tribal, local, non-profit, and private sector organization partners.
This annual celebration is a time to recognize and highlight the ways that wetlands enrich the environment and human society. In anticipation of this year's celebration, EPA encourages individuals and groups to plan activities and events that raise awareness of the critical role wetlands play in the environment and build support for their protection and restoration. Some ideas for celebratory activities and events include:
• Participate in a wetland walk, canoe trip, bird watch, or other outdoor activity
• Plan a wetland or stream cleanup
• Recognize a wetland hero
• Sponsor a talk or presentation about wetlands
• Start or participating in a volunteer wetland monitoring or restoration group
• Organize a wetland festival
Individuals or groups that are planning local, regional, or national events are strongly encouraged to share event information by visiting http://www.epa.gov/owow/wetlands/awm/contact.html. For general information, visit http://www.epa.gov/owow/wetlands/awm.