MACTEC Wins $3.1 M Contract for U.S. Route 460 Work

Bizzack Construction LLC and ENTRAN PLC have contracted MACTEC for $3.1 million to provide geotechnical engineering and cemetery relocation services, asbestos surveys, and construction quality control for the U.S. Route 460 Connector project in Buchanan County, Va.

The Route 460 Connector will link the new four-lane corridor with the Hawk’s Nest section of the Coalfields Expressway in Buchanan County. When completed in 2014 it will ultimately combine with other Virginia Department of Transportation projects to create a four-lane corridor from Route 460 at the Kentucky state line to the Claypool Hill section of Tazewell County.

About 80 percent of the $90,000,000 project is funded by the federal government; the remaining 20 percent by the Commonwealth of Virginia.

According to MACTEC Abingdon Office Manager Brian D. Owens, key services the firm will be providing include:

  • Geotechnical Engineering - Includes design level geotechnical exploration to provide geotechnical parameters to be used in designing structure foundations, cut and fill slope analyses, retaining walls, and a 2.3 million cubic yard waste area. MACTEC will drill over 130 borings totaling more than 9,000 linear feet.
  • Cemetery Relocation Services – MACTEC will provide a cemetery relocation specialist to assist a right-of-way team in relocating a small family cemetery.
  • Asbestos Surveys – Includes pre-demolition asbestos surveys of structures prior to construction.
  • Construction Quality Control – Provide onsite construction inspectors during construction. More than 6,000 concrete cylinders are expected to be cast to test the compressive strength and the concrete’s ability to resist chlorides.

MACTEC, based in Alpharetta, GA, is an engineering and design, environmental, and construction firm focused on Industrial/Commercial, Infrastructure (Transportation and Municipal), Energy, and Federal business lines.