BCC Research: Membrane Market Worth $3 B in 2013

According to a new technical market research report, "Membrane Technologies for Liquid and Gas Separations" from BCC Research the U.S. market for membrane modules used in liquid and gas separations is expected to be worth $2.3 billion in 2008 (http://www.bccresearch.com/report/MST041D). This will increase to $3.3 billion in 2013, for a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.8 percent.

The market is broken down into conventional liquid separations and other separations. Conventional liquid separations have the largest share of the market, worth an estimated $2.1 billion in 2008. This should reach $3.0 billion in 2013, for a CAGR of 7.7 percent.

Other separations have the second largest market share and are expected to generate $235.0 million in 2008 and $351.0 million in 2013, for a CAGR of 8.4 percent.

According to data from the International Monetary Fund, U.S. gross domestic product (GDP) fell to well below the global average of 4.9 percent to 2.2 percent. At year's end, GDP for 2008 is expected to reflect an even lower growth rate of 1.5 percent, which will improve only slightly in 2009. In contrast, growth of the U.S. market for filtration products, in general, has remained considerably higher, averaging from 7 percent to 9 percent. The membrane sector has been one of the fastest growing, surpassing even 9 percent for some applications.

Membranes are essential to a range of applications from potable water, process water, and wastewater treatment to power generation, pharmaceuticals production, food and beverage processing, and separations needed for manufacturing chemicals, electronics, fuels, and a range of other products. Primary drivers for membrane sales include consumer demand for higher quality products, increased regulatory pressures, deteriorating natural resources, and the need for environmental and economic sustainability.

The United States consumes approximately 40 percent of all the membrane modules produced worldwide. Conventional liquid separations including reverse osmosis, nanofiltration, ultrafiltration, microfiltration and electrochemical processes such as electrodialysis, account for 91 percent of U.S. demand, while other separations such as gas separations, pervaporation, and some novel processes make up the remaining 9 percent.

Featured Webinar