DOE Issues Draft RFP Seeking WIPP Contractor
The successful bidder will manage and operate the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant in Carlsbad, N.M.
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) issued a draft request for proposal (RFP) seeking a management and operations contractor to maintain the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) and manage the DOE National Transuranic Waste (TRU) Program in Carlsbad, N.M.
The estimated value of the anticipated contract is from $130 to $160 million per year, for five years, with an option to extend the contract for an additional five years. DOE anticipates awarding a competitive, cost-plus award-fee contract during 2012.
The overall mission of the WIPP and the National TRU program is to protect human health and the environment by safe management, retrieval, characterization, and disposal of defense-related wastes.
The WIPP includes surface facilities and a geological repository located 2,150 feet below the surface. TRU waste is placed in the geological repository for permanent storage.
Contract services will include the following:
- receive and dispose of TRU waste at WIPP;
- receive TRU waste packages for shipment to WIPP and complete applicable characterization, retrieval, remediation, and re-packaging of waste for the National Transuranic Waste Program;
- maintain and operate all site facilities and systems;
- comply with the New Mexico Hazardous Waste Renewal Permit that assigns specific responsibilities between DOE and the WIPP operating contractor;
- maintain uninterrupted operations, adjust to mission changes, unexpected work scope, and unforeseen complexities associated with radioactive waste disposal operations;
- provide justification for and prepare modifications and renewals to the Hazardous Waste Facility Permit (HWFP) issued by the state of New Mexico; and
- propose research and development initiatives to improve operational efficiency of WIPP and the National TRU Program.
In developing the final RFP, DOE will consider all comments received through the WIPP M&O procurement mailbox: WIPPMO@emcbc.doe.gov located on the procurement website: http://www.emcbc.doe.gov/wippmo.